The British Council is the world’s leading cultural relations organization and creates opportunities for people in the UK and worldwide to understand each other, to work together and learn from one another. We see this as crucial to building secure, more prosperous and sustainable futures for us all. We build trust and understanding between different countries and cultures and develop strong international links that are of benefit to people in Britain and the rest of the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Accountant
Locations: Lagos and Abuja
Pay Band: PB4-H
Reports to: Senior Accountant – Nigeria
- The post holder will be a member of a team of accountants responsible for the end to end accounting process in Nigeria including month, quarter and year end close.
- The role holder will ensure consistent, accurate and robust financial accounting experience in line with generally accepted accounting principles and corporate policies.
- This is a support role within the Financial Control function.
Function and Geopolitical Overview
- The Finance function is structured along functional lines with the aim of embedding the ‘three lines of defence’ model at its heart, clearly separating the financial control (first line) and risk and assurance (second line) functions, ensuring the integrity of our results and the strength of our controls.
- This will allow the organisation to focus more easily on business decision making, strategic planning, budgeting and forecasting on the basis of accurate monthly results.
- The SSA Business Plan sets out ambitious growth targets for both the number of people we will work with and the income that we will generate.
- We expect to be more profitable, reinforcing financial sustainability. At the same time, we aim to continue to deliver a step-change in the quality and performance of the British Council’s Finance function.
- This will be achieved through more consistent standard of financial reporting enabling more informed decision making and satisfy the standards demanded by external stakeholders.
- The organisation will achieve this by becoming increasingly efficient and commercial in its approach whilst maintaining its public service ethos and charitable purpose.
The post-holder will (across operations in Nigeria):
- Complete all financial tasks required as part of the period end closing activities, supporting the Senior Accountants, budget managers and SBU leads on accurate and complete financial close during period end.
- Provide support as required on accounting transactions and adjustments (accruals, deferrals and provisions), including Intercompany accounting.
- Provide support as required with manual journals and off-system payments requests and ensuring accuracy and compliance with relevant policies.
- Assist with reconciliation of all relevant accounts and ensure that this is completed to corporate standards.
- Assist Senior Accountant with preparation of local tax submissions and other statutory returns.
- Complete Travel & Expenses audits as per policy addressing issues in a promptly manner.
- Assist Senior Accountant with provision of information to internal / external auditors.
- Assist in the implementation of audit recommendations.
- Assist Senior Accountant on the implementation of the Income Recognition and Reconciliation Tool in assigned locations.
- Responsible for ensuring integrity of cash collection process.
- Responsible for ensuring integrity of customers refund process.
- Support the income reconciliation process by extracting relevant reports.
- Ensure compliance with treasury policy.
- Submit relevant documents to local bank as requested including bank mandates updates.
Regional and Functional Team Working:
- Contribute to ensuring the policies, procedures and systems are delivered with integrity.
- Work closely and effectively as part of the regional and global finance teams.
- Actively support equality and diversity and work to the British Council’s EDI policy at all times.
- Regional Financial Accounting team
- Shared Services Centre
- Corporate Finance
- Country admin team
- SBU Leads and Project Teams
- Country Customer Services team
- Bank relationship manager
- Tax authorities
- Bachelor’s Degree in any numerate course of study.
- Fully qualified with a recognised accounting board e.g ACCA, ACA etc
Role Specific Knowledge & Experience
- Highly organised and deadline oriented.
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Proven accounting experience.
- Experience of an ERP system.
- Above average knowledge of Microsoft excel.
- Experience working with SAP.
Application Closing Date
13th August, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should: